Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Resident Expert

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” James 1:5

If we are honest with ourselves, we must admit that it can feel quite flattering and gratifying to have people come to us for advice and counsel. But sometimes, especially on the mission field, I get treated as the resident expert . . . on just about every issue. Needless to say, this can be quite intimidating. Young women will come to me with questions ranging from child training to pregnancy symptoms, from labor and birth coaching techniques to forms of birth control, from what to do for this child’s rash to what to do for that child’s sleeping problem. The list is daunting! While it’s true that I’ve had three children naturally, that doesn’t make me the expert on labor and birth, and so on.

I always wonder as I’m stating my opinion if this is sufficient. While it may be what I would have done, does it mean that it’s right for this person? Should I have spent hours in research before giving advice? My doubt continues to plague me long after the conversation ceases . . .

It’s at those moments (both in counseling and afterwards) that I cry out to the Lord of wisdom, who promises to give wisdom to all who lack it. Obviously, this wisdom is first spiritual in nature. Wisdom is Biblical knowledge applied in our everyday lives. This should be our heart’s cry each day, that we would better learn how to live out God’s Word in our lives. But this wisdom can also apply to physical things. As I seek to encourage these women to apply Scripture in their daily lives, I give advice and counsel based on what I see are Biblical principles and then use common sense and experience to fill in the rest.

I am so thankful that I have a Heavenly Father who generously gives me wisdom each and every time I call upon Him. I am not an expert on anything, but He is, and I have 24/7 access to Him! May each of you, too, run to God for every decision you make, trying as best as you can to honor the principles in His Word in your daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly