Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Denim Skirt Project

Hi everyone!

I'm happy and excited to announce that I got my sewing machine, thanks to a very generous anniversary gift from my parents. I actually got it last week, but we've been battling nasty colds here, so this is the first opportunity I've had to post about it. I'm not an expert seamstress by any means, so I just played around on the machine to begin with, learning the settings and the stitches.



And then, a couple nights ago, I had a dream. A dream in which I made my daughter a cute little denim skirt. I woke up yesterday determined to do just that. I wish I would have taken the "before" picture... some old jeans of my eldest boy's. I didn't, however, so you'll just have to look at the finished project.



I followed the tutorial here. They were very thorough, easy to follow instructions. The only changes I made were that I didn't insert a panel into the front of the skirt and I didn't do the typical jean topstitching to finish off the project. I regret not putting in the extra panel, as it ended up being a little too tight around the hem. It's definitely wearable as it is, especially right now, but as she gets bigger, I might have to go back and add the panel. Still, all told, I'm happy with how the project turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly