Friday, April 24, 2015

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

So it's about time I posted a recipe.

I've been thinking about this blog often as I cook, but I've been spending most of my spare moments working on my quiet book, so my blog has taken a back seat for the time being.

Still, I promised to post things that were yummy, so here's one for starters! (I apologize ahead of time for the crummy cellphone pictures. My husband took the kids outside while I was cooking this meal--which I appreciate--but he unfortunately took the camera with him as well.)

As a little background, I buy beef ("estofado" or stew meat) that is pretty tough and needs to be either pressure cooked or slow cooked in order to make it enjoyable to eat. However, I wasn't completely satisfied with any of the cheesesteak recipes I was finding for these types of cooking methods. The vegetables kept coming out as mush, which I didn't find overly appetizing. I also felt like the recipes were always low on the vegetable side. So, I've combined a few recipes into one and adapted it to fit my particular likes. If you find you are having the same problem as me, give this recipe a try!


Cooking my yummy vegetables!


Pretty easy to do while the meat is pressure cooking away. Did I mention how much I love my pressure cooker?


What the meat looks like when it's done. I used too much water, so I reduced the water amount in the recipe I'm sharing with you.


The final product! Yummy goodness....Mmmm.



Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

2 lb beef (round steak or whatever other cut you prefer), cut into bit sized strips
3 bell peppers, cut into strips
3 large onions, sliced 
1 pkg onion soup seasoning mix
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
6-8 six-inch hoagie style buns 
6-8 slices Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
1-2 Tbsp butter or olive oil

Directions

Place strips of beef into pressure cooker. Add onion soup seasoning mix, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Pressure cook for 25 minutes. (This is the right amount of time for the toughness of my beef and my altitude. I suggest starting out with 10 minutes and testing doneness. You can always cook it for longer if needed.) 

Meanwhile, saute peppers, garlic, and onions in oil or butter in a skillet. Cook until tender but not overcooked. When the meat is done, add vegetables to meat mixture and simmer gently on the stove for an additional 5 minutes. Serve over buns and top with cheese. 

If desired, you can toast the sandwiches in the oven before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly